The term “holistic medicine” is being used quite often these days. Have you ever wondered what holistic medicine is? What are the principles and practices of holistic medicine? Take a look at our comprehensive guide to the holistic approach!
What is Holistic Medicine?
Holistic medicine is a form of treatment that looks at all aspects of health and wellness. For example, while traditional medicine simply focuses on alleviating symptoms (i.e. pain relief), holistic medicine looks deeper, seeking to obtain optimal health for the entire body. This would include a balanced approach of healing the mind, body and spirit using both conventional and alternative treatment methods.
This holistic approach to healing focuses on preventative medicine, which means taking care of our physical, mental and spiritual well-being before we get sick. On the other hand, traditional medicine focuses on treatment after a person becomes ill.
The definition of holistic medicine can be quite broad, where one person’s definition may be slightly different from another’s. As a result, not everyone will agree on what the definition of holistic medicine is, but in this guide, we will focus on the most popular forms of holistic healing.
The Principles of Holistic Medicine
When it comes to holistic medicine, there are several basic principles that are universally followed and practiced. By maintaining the health of these important elements now, we decrease the risk of becoming ill later:
- Optimal health. This principle focuses on being the best we can be by maintaining life’s essential elements:
- The power of love. Many believe love is a powerful healer. As a result, patients are to be treated with kindness and treated with dignity.
- The power of prevention. Instead of just treating the symptom, holistic health places emphasis on preventing disease and illness. This is accomplished by raising awareness to things (and situations) that may be harmful to a person’s health.
- Instinctive ability to heal. It is believed that we are all able to heal our mind, body and spirit from within. The goal is to help a person tap into these innate abilities and let the healing process begin.
- Unique, individual treatment. Many feel traditional medicine uses a “cookie-cutter” mentality to treat illness: if a person exhibits certain symptoms, they are simply given medicine to treat those symptoms. On the other hand, holistic medicine believes we are all different, and seeks to find treatments that are best for that specific individual, as opposed to what’s best for the disease.
- Live and learn. For practitioners of holistic medicine, life itself provides many learning opportunities. Birth, death, joy, sorrow, hunger, pain, and many other experiences can be learned from, and provide clues on how to treat (and possibly prevent) many health issues.
- Lead by example. Instead of just talking about the benefits of holistic health, the goal is to show others by applying the principles themselves, and inspiring others to do the same.
There are many ways to reap the benefits of holistic medicine. One great way is via the use of supplements. The following is our list of the top holistic supplements that are designed to help keep the mind, body, and soul healthy and energized.
A key component of holistic medicine is the delicate process of removing toxins safely and naturally. This allows the body to strengthen and heal itself from the inside out. This is where CytoDetox comes into play.
CytoDetox is a comprehensive detox system that contains powerful, water soluble molecules called Molecular Clinoptilolite Fragments. These natural minerals assist in detoxifying every cell in the human body, with no reported side effects or allergic reactions.
An important component of the holistic approach to wellness is the principle of prevention. By being proactive and taking care of our bodies before we get sick, we decrease our chances of becoming sick, or lessen the severity when we do.
PureForm Omega contains essential fatty acids that are both organic and plant based. They are called “essential” because even though they are vital to human health, the body can’t manufacture them naturally. They must be consumed from an outside source.
PureForm Omega can be used for people of all ages, and has the following benefits:
- Decrease inflammation
- Lessen joint pain
- Promote heart health
- Fights depression
- Protects the brain
Looking for a way to incorporate holistic medicine into your daily life? PureForm Omega supplements may be just what you need.
Fastonic Cellular Molecular Hydrogen is an excellent supplement for those who are fasting. (During a fast, a person abstains from food for 12 hours or longer). Since the body is not busy digesting food, it can turn its attention to repairing itself naturally from within.
During a fast, Fastonic Cellular Molecular Hydrogen helps the body heal itself in several important ways:
- Stabilize cholesterol levels
- Increase the ability to focus and mental clarity
- Suppress appetite
- Promotes healthy skin
- Stimulate healing in soft tissue injuries
- Decrease exercise-related fatigue
Fasting is a prime example of the body’s innate ability to heal itself. This holistic principle is key to achieving good health in all aspects of life.
The True Cellular Detox™ Program was specifically designed to help combat many of the health issues seen in modern society.
Every day, we are bombarded with toxins in our food, the air we breathe, our homes and offices. Many of the products we consider safe (such as dishwashers, air fresheners and dry cleaning) contain chemicals that are hazardous to our health as well.
For optimal health, it’s critical we remove these toxins from all areas of our bodies. Many of us want to do this holistically, so we try detox products that promise to remove them safely and quickly. We may have the best intentions, but unfortunately, the majority of these products are temporary fixes that more harm than good over the long term.
The True Cellular Detox™ Program is effective because it attacks toxins at the cellular level. It is also a superior form of holistic medicine because it works in three stages:
- The True Cellular Detox Prep Phase. During this phase, the pathways to remove toxins are prepped and prepared for the detoxification process. Eliminating toxins can be taxing on the body, so it must be physically able to remove them safely and properly. The prep phase provides the following:
- Improved liver and kidney function.
- Enhanced cellular receptors with additional nourishment.
- Increased cellular energy.
- Higher levels of probiotics in the gut.
- The True Cellular Detox Body Phase. During the body phase, toxins are removed from cells throughout the entire body. At this time, cellular energy is increased and the elimination of toxins is accelerated and enhanced.
- True Cellular Detox Brain Phase. This is the final phase of True Cellular Detox. During this time, toxins are removed from the brain, while simultaneously receiving brain-rich minerals and antioxidants. Remember: where the mind goes, the body follows.
By removing toxins from the entire body, we are one step closer to achieving optimal health, which is a key holistic principle.
Holistic Medicine vs. Homeopathy
The terms “holistic” and “homeopathic” are used quite often these days. Many believe the words are interchangeable, but did you know they each have their own unique characteristics?
Holistic medicine. Holistic medicine will use a variety of treatment options and therapies to heal a person. As discussed before, holistic medicine views the person as a whole, looking at their physical, mental and spiritual health before making a diagnosis or devising a plan of action.
With holistic treatments, the primary goal is to focus on prevention and achieving balance. This is accomplished by getting the proper nutrients the body needs, as well as limiting our exposure to the various chemicals and toxins that we encounter daily.
Ultimately, holistic treatments for one ailment could indirectly improve our health in other areas, due to its comprehensive approach at strengthening the body overall as a whole.
Homeopathy. Homeopathic remedies focus on treating symptoms. This is similar to the modern, conventional forms of treatment we receive when going to the doctor. However, there’s one distinct difference between the two: homeopathy focuses exclusively on natural remedies to relieve symptoms.
These natural remedies include environmentally friendly plant and mineral sources that aren’t tested on animals. They are considered safe for everyone, including children and expectant mothers. Since it focuses on symptoms, many will seek homeopathic treatments for a variety of ailments, including the following:
- Sore throats
- Autoimmune disorders
- Ear infections
Homeopathic products are inexpensive, readily available, and can be purchased at grocery stores, online, health food stores, etc.
While many people are skeptical of homeopathic treatments, many studies have shown their benefits.
For example, a study of homeopathic treatments on individuals with chronic periodontitis (CP) and Diabetes mellitus type 2 was conducted on individuals between 32 and 70 years old. Researchers found that homeopathy treatments reduced mean glucose and glycated hemoglobin after 6 and 12 months. The findings also show that homeopathy non-surgical periodontal therapy may further improve health conditions, including glycemic control in DMII patients with CP.1
The Quest for Good Health
Which treatment method is best: holistic medicine or homeopathy? The answer depends on the individual and their goals. With that said, it is a mistake to rely exclusively on modern medicine for your health needs.
While focusing on the symptoms may be good in some cases, making an effort to keep the body free of disease in the first place is important as well. A healthy immune system is the first line of defense against sickness. Stress, pollution, bad eating habits, lack of exercise and a host of other factors can weaken the immune system, which can increase our susceptibility of becoming ill.
Holistic principles force us to be mindful of potential disease-causing culprits. Homeopathic treatments offer safer, gentler treatment options, minus the harmful side effects many traditional medications might have. When used together, they make a powerful 1-2 punch.
Our health is our most important asset. We can’t take our health for granted, and must do everything we can to preserve it. Don’t wait until you’re sick to start taking better care of yourself. Give holistic medicine a try. Your body will thank you.
1. Mourão L, Carillo R Jr, Linares SM Homeopathy and Periodontal Treatment in Type II Diabetic Patients: a 1-Year Randomized Clinical Trial. Braz Dent J. 2019 Mar-Apr;30(2):139-145. doi: 10.1590/0103-6440201902124. Epub 2019 Apr 4. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/30970056/?i=12&from=homeopathy